Skip to main content

A Torch Against the Night

“Your emotions make you human, Elias said to me weeks ago in the Serran Range. Even the unpleasant ones have a purpose. If you ignore them, they just get louder and angrier.”

Although this book is a best-seller, I cannot say that this is a can’t-put-it-down read because it took me several weeks to finish flipping on its pages. To be honest, it was a tedious start. But as the story built up, it brought me to different places and introduced me to other interesting characters. I found it a good read.

At times, it was a breathtaking feat following Elias and Laia on their journey as they run for their lives. I was thrilled while racing with them away from the Martial soldiers who hunt them and consider them fugitives of the Empire. The long and menacing expedition required me some deep breaths, but I was enamored by Laia’s bravery to defy and fight the enemies in order to save her brother—who is believed to be the key to the Scholars’ survival—from the treacherous prison. And Elias, a man of his word, protected Laia with every bit of his strength and foresight even if it would cost him his freedom.

“Failure doesn’t define you. It’s what you do after you fail that determines whether you are a leader or a waste of perfectly good air.”

In A Torch Against the Night, which is the second book of An Ember in the Ashes, Author Sabaa Tahir has woven a tale jam-packed with a wide variety of emotions intermingled to entice, inspire and leave its readers in awe. She brilliantly created characters that readers will love and hate. With all the running, hiding, fighting and romantic scenes I have witnessed—and the lessons it provided, I find it a very entertaining and good read.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wise Man's Fear

At the Waystone Inn, he moved like clockwork, like a wagon rolling down the road in well-worn ruts. As my journey and adventures with Kvothe continues, I find myself plummeting deeper into the life of this shrewd prodigy. He is no ordinary teenager you can find in a regular school—belligerent and content with a little knowledge and flair. He is different. He is wise, atypical and profound with a bravado rising above what is predictable from a guy his age. He is not some kind of wizard who exist in the shadow of a pretty face; he is an arcanist of unquestionable wit and potential. And there were many things that happened… “If I were Kvothe, I’d fake my death, change my name, and find some little town out in the middle of nowhere.  Then I’d open an inn and do my best to disappear.” As Chronicler readies himself to transcribe everything the legendary man will recount, I also brace myself for the likely staggering revelations. Then in a glint, I am following Kvothe as he tries...

Catching Fire

New game, new rules, the same thrill and excitement… Right when they thought the game was over, they realized it has only just begun… It was mixed feelings that plagued me when I read The Hunger Games’ sequel,  Catching Fire . At the outset, I was reassured that despite the excruciating scenes I witnessed during the game, Katniss and Peeta could finally breath the air of freedom when the shackles of oppression and dominance were unleashed by their inspiring triumph in the arena. They survived the first death-defying wallop of the post-apocalyptic nation of Panem, they had vanquished the other contenders in a battle to death, and they were ready to see the world—their own fragile, little world in District 12 where their families were waiting in anticipation and joy that they made it through. Yet, things didn’t turn out the way Katniss wanted them to be.  Things were not getting better for her and her long-time friend Gale. Peeta had done far worse that it broke her ...