Skip to main content

The Name of the Wind




This is a good tale—a chronicle of my travels and adventures with Kvothe, the legendary hero who has stolen princesses, talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.
The saga of Kvothe awakened my passion that had become quiescent for more than a decade—my zest to reading. When I met him, he enchanted me with his unique wit, cunning thoughts, and most of all, his sympathy and powerful binding techniques. Eventually, he detained me in Patrick Rothfuss’ magical pages.
As I begin my journey with this charming and spirited character, I uncovered that every leaf of The Name of the Wind eagerly breaks the monotony of the books of the same genre. It is all-encompassing—a distinctively outlined portrayal of life’s parable and family relationship, of travel adventures and personal wanderlust, of friendship and fleeting acquaintances, of en route impediments and life-altering circumstances, of grief face due to loss and power of emancipation, of a quest for truths and period of revelations, of pedagogic struggles and life’s gambles, of the pulsating gusto of youth’s heart and curiosity of a fervent mind, of the land of enchantment and hideous mysteries, and of a young man’s search for meaning and struggle for survival, a legend that is so captivating.
Full of vigor and an unquenchable lust for knowledge, Kvothe is someone you would like to know. He is one of the Edema Ruh, court performers, whose parents were great with their own unique gifts. Growing up in the center of an endless fair was a happy memory of his childhood—he grew up in words and songs that linger in his heart forever. His first teachers were his parents, but he found a strange, exciting figure in the first arcanist he met. The man who opened his mind to almost everything—his first real mentor, the one who helped him become the man he is today.
It’s weird, but I have witnessed everything that Kvothe went through. His true expedition neither begins nor ends in the courts, performing. The reason why he has to go to the University became the door to his real wide-ranging pursuit—a search for meaning in his universe. He wanted to know the name of the wind so that he can call it by himself. He wanted to avenge his parents’ and troupe’s death. He wanted to know the truth and learn more about Tarbolin the Great, the wizard who knew the name of all things—who could call down fire and lightning. Subsequently, he would discover more than that—things and happenings beyond his mind could ever imagine. I had seen his willpower; I had seen him learned his way to becoming a myth that would hark back anyone to a time when Kvothe carved his name in history.
Can you imagine a young man burning a town? Who can spend a night in a realm where the ruler is known to take away men’s sanity and life, and leave still having both? Who will have the wit to get accepted in the University, and then expelled from it, at an age younger than anyone allowed in?  Who has the backbone to thread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during the day? Kvothe did. He is wise—but after all, he also has fears. And in our next adventure, I will tell you about The Wise Man’s Fear.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wise Man's Fear

At the Waystone Inn, he moved like clockwork, like a wagon rolling down the road in well-worn ruts. As my journey and adventures with Kvothe continues, I find myself plummeting deeper into the life of this shrewd prodigy. He is no ordinary teenager you can find in a regular school—belligerent and content with a little knowledge and flair. He is different. He is wise, atypical and profound with a bravado rising above what is predictable from a guy his age. He is not some kind of wizard who exist in the shadow of a pretty face; he is an arcanist of unquestionable wit and potential. And there were many things that happened… “If I were Kvothe, I’d fake my death, change my name, and find some little town out in the middle of nowhere.  Then I’d open an inn and do my best to disappear.” As Chronicler readies himself to transcribe everything the legendary man will recount, I also brace myself for the likely staggering revelations. Then in a glint, I am following Kvothe as he tries...

A Torch Against the Night

“Your emotions make you human, Elias said to me weeks ago in the Serran Range. Even the unpleasant ones have a purpose. If you ignore them, they just get louder and angrier.” Although this book is a best-seller, I cannot say that this is a can’t-put-it-down read because it took me several weeks to finish flipping on its pages. To be honest, it was a tedious start. But as the story built up, it brought me to different places and introduced me to other interesting characters. I found it a good read. At times, it was a breathtaking feat following Elias and Laia on their journey as they run for their lives. I was thrilled while racing with them away from the Martial soldiers who hunt them and consider them fugitives of the Empire. The long and menacing expedition required me some deep breaths, but I was enamored by Laia’s bravery to defy and fight the enemies in order to save her brother—who is believed to be the key to the Scholars’ survival—from the treacherous prison. And Elias, ...

Catching Fire

New game, new rules, the same thrill and excitement… Right when they thought the game was over, they realized it has only just begun… It was mixed feelings that plagued me when I read The Hunger Games’ sequel,  Catching Fire . At the outset, I was reassured that despite the excruciating scenes I witnessed during the game, Katniss and Peeta could finally breath the air of freedom when the shackles of oppression and dominance were unleashed by their inspiring triumph in the arena. They survived the first death-defying wallop of the post-apocalyptic nation of Panem, they had vanquished the other contenders in a battle to death, and they were ready to see the world—their own fragile, little world in District 12 where their families were waiting in anticipation and joy that they made it through. Yet, things didn’t turn out the way Katniss wanted them to be.  Things were not getting better for her and her long-time friend Gale. Peeta had done far worse that it broke her ...