Skip to main content

The Hunger Games


Packed with interesting and absolutely amazing cast of characters, thought-provoking plot and mind-blowing scenes, this is one of the almost-can’t-put-it-down books that I have read so far…
When the book was released, book enthusiasts were very excited. My friends were talking about it, and I was like wondering what the fuss to make this book big news. When my friend unselfishly shared her copy of the book, I became interested to discover the answers to my own questions. The rest was history.
I didn’t care about the controversial issues on the concept of the story; I just loved everything about this book. For me, The Hunger Games is heartbreaking, Machiavellian and inspiring all at once.  I was captivated at how Collins depicted the essence of a typical family whose members struggle to keep the bond that holds them together through the Everdeens. I admired Katniss’ love for her family that she was willing to sacrifice her life for her sister, and changed her mother’s outlook on life. It is poignant but very inspiring.
The pages allowed me to travel to this fictional nation of Panem and be engulfed in its brutality and ruthlessness. Honestly, I shed a tear when Primrose was singled out for the game. Such naïve girl, such innocence—a heart-wrenching scene that made me hate that part of the story. But the heroine was there to take her place, ready to embrace her fate and do everything to keep the things she loves most and can’t live without.
The game itself was amazing. I was gasping in between skirmishes. I was stunned in the breathtaking melee right from the opening of the contest. However, it was a distressing picture to see young lives ended to please the scheming Capitol. It was devastating that those they call “tributes” had to kill and be ready to die just because they were chosen to take the punishment for a rebellion they were not part of, and not because they chose to. I felt their families’ anguish, their suffering and their sorrow while watching their son and daughter slaughtered and died in the arena, and not a single, little move they could do to shun it—just like the tear-jerking scene of Rue’s death.
This story will walk you through the various images of life and human struggles—it is an amalgamation of conspiracy, friendship, survival, deception, decision-making, and the desire to win—and live. I marvel at how Katniss and Peeta stood strong, made use of their strengths and skills, and brought awe and satisfaction to their audience. Their alliance was powerful, influential and passionate—bringing the story to a surprising conclusion.
Though the pages of Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games are stained with blood, despair and horrible realities, the story also contains wonderful life lessons worth emulating. For me, it inspires us to love and treasure our families more and relentlessly, cherish our friendships, hold on to our beautiful memories, believe in ourselves, trust God, and have faith that every ordeal has an end—and it ends with a prize.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Torch Against the Night

“Your emotions make you human, Elias said to me weeks ago in the Serran Range. Even the unpleasant ones have a purpose. If you ignore them, they just get louder and angrier.” Although this book is a best-seller, I cannot say that this is a can’t-put-it-down read because it took me several weeks to finish flipping on its pages. To be honest, it was a tedious start. But as the story built up, it brought me to different places and introduced me to other interesting characters. I found it a good read. At times, it was a breathtaking feat following Elias and Laia on their journey as they run for their lives. I was thrilled while racing with them away from the Martial soldiers who hunt them and consider them fugitives of the Empire. The long and menacing expedition required me some deep breaths, but I was enamored by Laia’s bravery to defy and fight the enemies in order to save her brother—who is believed to be the key to the Scholars’ survival—from the treacherous prison. And Elias, ...

The Wise Man's Fear

At the Waystone Inn, he moved like clockwork, like a wagon rolling down the road in well-worn ruts. As my journey and adventures with Kvothe continues, I find myself plummeting deeper into the life of this shrewd prodigy. He is no ordinary teenager you can find in a regular school—belligerent and content with a little knowledge and flair. He is different. He is wise, atypical and profound with a bravado rising above what is predictable from a guy his age. He is not some kind of wizard who exist in the shadow of a pretty face; he is an arcanist of unquestionable wit and potential. And there were many things that happened… “If I were Kvothe, I’d fake my death, change my name, and find some little town out in the middle of nowhere.  Then I’d open an inn and do my best to disappear.” As Chronicler readies himself to transcribe everything the legendary man will recount, I also brace myself for the likely staggering revelations. Then in a glint, I am following Kvothe as he tries...

Catching Fire

New game, new rules, the same thrill and excitement… Right when they thought the game was over, they realized it has only just begun… It was mixed feelings that plagued me when I read The Hunger Games’ sequel,  Catching Fire . At the outset, I was reassured that despite the excruciating scenes I witnessed during the game, Katniss and Peeta could finally breath the air of freedom when the shackles of oppression and dominance were unleashed by their inspiring triumph in the arena. They survived the first death-defying wallop of the post-apocalyptic nation of Panem, they had vanquished the other contenders in a battle to death, and they were ready to see the world—their own fragile, little world in District 12 where their families were waiting in anticipation and joy that they made it through. Yet, things didn’t turn out the way Katniss wanted them to be.  Things were not getting better for her and her long-time friend Gale. Peeta had done far worse that it broke her ...